History of L'Anse Creuse Public Schools
In 1954, the L’Anse Creuse Public Schools began as a way to fill a need in the community, a tradition that continues to this day. L'Anse Creuse serves residents in Harrison Township, and portions of Clinton Township, Chesterfield and Macomb as well as sections of St. Clair Shores, totaling approximately 37 square miles of northeast Macomb County, Michigan.
Please see below the history of our district along with a list of our schools and facilities.
In 1953, the Mount Clemens Community Schools’ Board of Education notified several school districts that within two years it could no longer accept these students. The Board of Education from each of the affected schools explored the options of providing high school facilities to students graduating from Atwood, Green, Herman Klix, Jefferson and South River elementary schools.
“A decision was made to consolidate these five elementary districts to provide a sufficient student base and property valuation to support a good high school,” said Glen Peters, first Board of Education president.
The newly formed district elected its first Board of Education members on March 29, 1954. The members were: Glen Peters, Albert Marlatt, Marie C. Graham, Donald W. Stivers and Louis Senghas.
Naming the District
With the board in place, the new district needed a name. Some of the suggestions included: “Lakeland,” “Lake Shore,” “Selfridge,” Cavalier,” “Riverland” and “Shoreland.” Senghas wondered if the name “L’Anse Creuse,” held by a road that ran through the district as well as the name for the Bay of Lake St. Clair, could have possibilities.
A local historian revealed that L’Anse Creuse was the French name for “Little Bay” or “Shallow Bay.” Additionally, L’Anse Creuse Road used to run from the water’s edge back to Pontiac and served as the means for area farmers to transport their produce to the bay for sale along the water.
Satisfied with a century’s worth of historical significance, the board selected L’Anse Creuse Public Schools as the district’s official name.
Today, the district occupies 37 square miles of northeast Macomb County. It has nine elementary schools, four middle schools and two high schools. In addition, it has two child care centers, a vocational and technical center and the John R. Armstrong Performing Arts Center.
“Glen Peters, as the first Board of Education president, set the standards of ethics and excellence for our district,” said Derald Van Camp, former L’Anse Creuse Public Schools Board of Education president. “It is these standards that makes L’Anse Creuse Public Schools prosper."
District Schools and Facilities
Early Childhood Centers
L’Anse Creuse Early Childhood Center
Anna Mae Burdi Early Childhood Center
Donald J. Yacks Elementary School
Emma V. Lobbestael Elementary School
Francis A. Higgins Elementary School
Joseph M. Carkenord Elementary School
Marie C. Graham Elementary School
L’Anse Creuse Middle School – Central
L’Anse Creuse Middle School – East
L’Anse Creuse Middle School – North
L’Anse Creuse Middle School – South
Traditional High Schools
L’Anse Creuse High School - North
Specialty High School Buildings
Frederick V. Pankow Center which houses:
- Career & Technical Education
- Math/Science/Technology Center
- Performing Arts Program
Community Education (afternoon/evening classes)
DiAnne M. Pellerin Center which houses:
- An alternative high school
- The Center for Lifelong Learning
- GED Testing
- L’Anse Creuse Adult Education
- Michigan Works! Retraining Programs
John R. Armstrong Performing Arts Center
Larry F. Brender Support Services Center
Harry L. Wheeler Community Center and Administrative Offices
Click the following link to tour some of our schools: Tour Our Schools