National Junior Honor Society - Central
L'Anse Creuse Middle School-Central National Junior Honor Society
The National Junior Honor Society at Middle School-Central is a very active and successful chapter. We participate in many service activities while maintaining our goal of inspiring character, scholarship, leadership, service, and citizenship for the school and community. The following is a list of the some of the activities we do each year:
Typical Service Activities:
- Collect non-perishables for the Clinton Township Kiwanis canned food drive.
- Raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through our Penny War campaign – organized pasta and donut parties for the winning classes.
- Participate in the Relay for Life of Harrison Township, raising money for the American Cancer Society. We have won top fund raising team for the past three years in a row -- over $10,000 each year (over $12,000 last year).
Typical Club Activities & Fundraisers:
- Sell Lancer Clothing and Gear at Lancer Day and Parent Teacher Conferences
- Bagel Sales throughout the school year
- Christmas caroling around the neighborhood in December
- Hat/Sunglass day fundraiser
- Corn Maze & Bonfire
- Movie Nights
- Laser Tag
- Host 8th Grade tailgate Party for entire 8th Grade
- Escort 5th graders when they visit the school
What is the NJHS?
- NJHS is a National Organization designed to create enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership, to develop character, and to encourage citizenship in middle school students.
- The club is primarily an 8th grade club, with 7th graders joining near the end of their 7th grade year.
When (and how) are new members selected?
- Selection of new members occurs only ONCE per year.
- At the end of the first semester (February), students in 7th or 8th grade with cumulative GPA’s of 3.4 or higher are invited to petition the faculty council for membership. Students must choose to complete the paperwork and turn it in on time in order to be considered for membership.
- Forms submitted are then reviewed by the faculty council and members are then selected.
What is the basis of NJHS membership?
- Selection for membership is by a faculty council and is based on outstanding character, scholarship, leadership, service, and citizenship.
- Students must have a cumulative (through 6th grade) GPA of 3.4 or higher and earn primarily 1/O‘s, 2/G, or 3/A in citizenship.
My child made the honor roll, why did she not receive an invitation and membership information?
- The most common reason for this is the difference between using a student's current GPA vs. her cumulative GPA. The Honor Roll is typically based on one 10-week marking period, in order to qualify for NJHS, a student's cumulative GPA (all grades while at MS-C, including 6th grade) are used.
My child was a member of NJHS at another school. Does he have to start all over at MS-C and fill out all of that paperwork?
- No -- Once proof of membership is given to the MS-C Adviser (a letter from the former principal or chapter adviser, or a NJHS membership card) he will be accepted automatically as a member of this chapter. (Members of the National Elementary Honor Society do NOT automatically become members of NJHS.)