South River Music
Hello! My name is Mrs. Julie Thompson and I am the music teacher here at South River Elementary. This web page serves as a window into our music classroom. Please visit us often to find out about all the musical happenings taking place in our building.
- Full Day Kindergartners receive general music instruction once a week for 50 minutes a session.
- Students in Grades 1-5 receive general music instruction once a week for 50 minutes.
L’ANSE CREUSE ELEMENTARY MUSIC BELIEF STATEMENTS
- Music has a place in the lives of all children.
- Students are encouraged to leave the elementary music program with a desire to further their musical education.
- The elementary music program enables students to develop a lifelong, knowledgeable appreciation of music.
- The elementary music program extends, enriches and supports the total curriculum and the learning process
- All students in the Fifth Grade are required to learn to play the soprano recorder.
- All students will have the opportunity to purchase/borrow a recorder from the music department.
- Recorder books will be provided to the students free of charge.
Music Room Links
Listed below are several music related websites on the internet. Below each link, I have provided a brief description of what you can do at this site.
Classics for Kids - learn more about our Composer of the Month from this website and listen to the weekly radio podcast. Classical music's great composers come to life through music and stories. Games, listening selections, music dictionary, and more!
New York Philharmonic Kids' Site - A neat site that let's you explore the way musical instruments sound and look. Check out the MusiQuest Scavenger Huntand Instrument Storage Room.
Mosaic Youth Choir and Theater - this is the site for a wonderful youth choir and theater group in Detroit. Check out their upcoming concerts and if you are interested you can learn more about joining this wonderful choir.
Dallas Symphony Orchestra Kids' Site - this is a great web site to explore! I even use this site in some of my fifth grade classes! Test your Music History skills by playing Beethoven's Baseball.
Creating Music - a very good site where you can experiment with composing your own music.
Instrument Word Search - Well, it is an Instrument Word Search.