Student Externship (Formerly Co-Op)
For students who attend the Frederick V. Pankow Center:
What is an Externship?
The Externship Program is designed to give all students an opportunity to learn about a job from a field of their choice.
The Externship Program is for Juniors and Seniors (at least 16 years of age) who are taking a Pankow Center class, or Marketing class at the high school and would like to experience real-life situations in their field. The student's progress is supervised by the student externship coordinator, and evaluated by the employer and the externship coordinator.
What are the Guidelines?
- You must work at least 10 hours per week (150 hours minimum) for 1 credit per semester.
- You may only work a maximum of 18 hours per week. This does not include vacations and half days.
- You must be paid by company check with appropriate tax deductions taken.
- Your job must be related to your CTE class at Pankow or Marketing class.
- You must turn in an attendance and earnings record every two weeks (pay-stub).
- You must pass your related class at Pankow or Marketing with a C or better.
- If you quit your job without a valid reason, or get fired, you will receive no credit.
- You must abide by policies and regulations set forth by both the employer and of the district.
- If you are unable to attend school, you are not permitted to work.
- The employer must carry Workman's Compensation and Liability Insurance for its employees. The employer must provide verification of this.
For more information, contact:
Frederick V. Pankow Center
24600 F.V. Pankow Blvd.
Clinton Township, MI 48036-1306
Phone: (586) 783-6570