About the Class
- Course number 942
- 1 year program
- Grades 11, 12
- 2 hour block 2.0 credit / year
- Recommended Courses: 2 years English, Math and Science
Medical Assisting is a yearlong class that prepares students for entry-level positions in doctors’ offices, clinics and hospitals. This course will focus on basic anatomy, medical terminology, and medical ethics. Hands on skills will include taking vital signs, drawing blood, testing blood and urine, sterilizing equipment, and setting up and assisting with examinations, performing CPR and first aid, and doing EKGs. Front office procedures such as scheduling appointments, filing, coding and health insurance claims will also be introduced.
Externship (co-op) eligible program
To provide students with the academic foundation and clinical skills needed for employment as a medical assistant.
- Career Technical Student Organization: HOSA (Health Occupations Student Association)
- Certifications: Pankow 1-year CTE Skill Certificate upon successful completion of program.
- Articulation: Macomb Community College (pending)