The content within this page is designed to continue to support learning throughout summer. The resources on this page will continue to be updated as more resources become available. In addition to the resources listed below, please reach out to your local public library, as, they've prepared a wealth of resources to provide support during summer. Also, please check your individual building media center pages for websites and subscriptions that may be unique to your school.
k-5 online resources
- ABCmouse: This early learning academy is designed for students in preschool through grade 2. ABCmouse offers a digital learning library complete with more than 10,000 learning activities and 850 complete lessons!
- Access Code: SCHOOL4638
- Adventure Academy: Adventure Academy is a massively multiplayer online game for students in grades 3-8. It brings learning to life as it builds critical knowledge of essential curriculum topics in a safe and engaging virtual world!
- Access Code: SCHOOL4638
- BrainVentures: BrainVentures take a child on a visually guided, scaffolded learning adventure. BrainVentures give a child choices of learning activities, provide multiple learning modalities, engage a child in constructing animations, videos, photo albums, stories and in exploring field trips, games and simulations. From music to math, from science to the arts, BrainVentures light a child’s imagination and increase a child’s understanding of the world. BrainVentures are fun – providing interactive educational opportunities outside of school – and they are free!
- Calculation Nation: If you're looking for a fun, web-based game for students, Calculation Nation from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics is a wonderful resource.
- Camp PBS KIDS: Summer is full of opportunities to play and learn! We know summer might look a little different this year, but Camp PBS KIDS is here to fill your days with creativity, exploration and fun for the whole family. Explore ideas, tips and activities around different themes with your favorite PBS KIDS characters!
- Camp Wonderopolis!: Camp Wonderopolis® is the free online summer-learning destination that's full of fun, interactive STEM and literacy-building topics boosted by Maker experiments!
- Colorin' Colorado:This reading resource roundup for parents is awesome! You'll find guides, tips, and reading lesson ideas in Spanish and English.
- Discovery Education Daily DE: Looking for meaningful and engaging learning activities? The Daily DE features a grade-band appropriate learning activity for every day of the week. From digital interactives to virtual field trips to fun science experiments and more, these daily activities are great for keeping the learning going at home!
- Education Summer Fun: From Education.com, this collection features plenty of activities to keep your kids busy and learning this summer. From hands-on science activities, to outdoor games, there are dozens of ideas here to get started.
- GoNoodle: GoNoodle® engages 14 million kids every month with movement and mindfulness videos! These fun, engaging brain breaks will have children up and moving!
- Harrison Township Public Library: Find summer reading challenges, online resources, e-books and more!
- Khan Academy: Khan Academy offers highly interactive practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. Creating an account is easy and free! After creating an account and verifying via parent e-mail, students can choose instructional areas of interest to them and begin to explore interactive learning opportunities!
- Literacy in Science Tip Sheets: These 18 tip sheets all about literacy in the sciences are written just for parents, and are available in English and Spanish.
Each tip sheet includes simple activities you can do with your child to build literacy and beginning science skills. Each tip sheet also includes a set of recommended picture books to extend the learning.
- Michigan Electronic Library (MeL): From the Michigan Electronic Library, MeL provides a variety of educational resources including games, online stories, lessons, encyclopedias, databases and more!
- MISD Summer Reading List
- MYSTERY science: Broken down by grade-level for grades K-5, MYSTERY science provides expertly designed lessons to engage students, achieve learning outcomes, and be easy for teachers and parents to use. They have short mini-lessons that are completely digital and full lessons that include an activity. All of the activities are designed to use simple supplies a parent will likely already have at home.
- ReadingIQ: ReadingIQ is an advanced digital library and literacy platform for children through 6th grade that provides free access to thousands of high-quality books. It even offers an offline mode that does not require continuous access to the Internet!
- Access Code: SCHOOL4638
- ReadWriteThink: This after-school and parent collection from ReadWriteThink offers something for everything. There are links to summer activities and projects, games and tech tools, printouts, and how-to articles. Plus, there's a link to a useful podcast series about out-of-school learning.
- Scholastic Learn At Home: Even when schools are closed, you can keep the learning going with these special cross-curricular journeys. Every day includes four separate learning experiences, each built around a thrilling, meaningful story or video.
- Start with a Book: tart with a Book, a project from Reading Rockets, offers some great ideas for summer reading. This collection offers books and activities to help kids explore a variety of subjects like dinosaurs, money, and much more.