Green School was named after the Green Family who lived in the area at the end of the nineteenth century. Van Buren Green had a livery stable on the corner of Main and Green Streets in New Baltimore. Later he and his family moved to a large farm on Sugarbush Road where he had a blacksmith shop. He donated the property for the school, which was named in honor of his son, Edward Green. Mr. Green wanted the school close to his home so that his children would not have far to walk.
Frenchmen who lived on the other side of Cotton Road apparently had the same desire for their children. The result was a "portable" school house. During the night, Mr. Green and his neighbors would move the school from one site to another in the morning, the French would find it missing. The next night the French would move it back. This was a popular pastime until the court ruled in favor of Mr. Green, and ordered the school to remain on his farm. This site is still the home of Green Elementary School.
This first one room log school was opened in 1860, followed by a white wood frame one room school with windows and a bell tower in 1871. As the community grew, a red brick two room building with electric lights and central heating was constructed in 1929 and dedicated to Edward Green. In 1954 Green School joined with other area elementary schools to form the L'Anse Creuse Public School District.
When student population declined, Green was closed as a school. Half of the building was leased by Chesterfield Township for offices and the remainder of the building was used for district offices. As the population increased the offices were replaced with classrooms and in 1992, Green reopened as a K-5 building.
Last updated: 9/22/2016 11:46:14 AM